How and where did you begin your sewing efforts?
Most of us start small: on our kitchen or dining room tables, in our bedrooms, etc. The first sewing stations we all have are usually mobile, as these spaces are commonly used for other purposes as well.
However, as our enthusiasm grows, we all want to have a dedicated space for our machine, equipment, and materials. We can’t move our stuff from one place to another forever. Needles, threads, scissors, books, tapes, notions, they all have to be stored somewhere accessible, right?
If you’ve reached the stage of rethinking your sewing workstation, and you no longer have enough space to store your supplies, that means you’ve grown to a pro-level, and you truly deserve a dedicated sewing spot.
What I strongly recommend to anyone is to begin with a sewing table, cabinet, or both, as regardless of whether you live in a mansion or an apartment, whether you own the place, or just rent it, and will have to move eventually, these cover everything you need for a dedicated workstation.
There’s no universally perfect solution when it comes to useful sewing furniture, you need to consider your budget, decor, the amount of available space you have, and the amount of space you need for your sewing projects.
Of course, before you start shopping, it’s always helpful to get some inspiration. Here are 7 of my favorite sewing cabinets and tables, and I hope some of them work for you as well.
Top Sewing Tables and Cabinets
If you’re looking to get started on budget, this easy-to-assemble sewing table by Sew Ready is the most wallet-friendly you can find. The surface can be held flat, or you can lower the adjustable platform and use it as a shelf for your machine or sewing equipment.
This platform can be adjusted to several heights depending on what is the most comfortable for you.
This table is quite resilient and can support a lot of weight, but in case you don’t want it around for some reason, or you can fold it and stash it in a couple of minutes.
- Overall Dimensions: 47.5" W x 28" D x 30" H, Weight Limit 35 lbs.
- Drop-Down Platform: 22" W x 10.5" D, Platform Can Adjust to Six Height Settings, Weight Limit 15 lbs.
- Foldable Sewing Table - Fold-In Legs that Lock for Safety
- Powder Coated Steel Frame for Durability and Four Floor Levelers for Stability
- Uses - Can Be Used as a Sewing Table, Computer Desk, Multi-Use Craft Table, or Home Hobby Table
Very similar to the first one, but made by a different producer, the Arrow 601 portable sewing table is a bit more expensive, but still an excellent choice, durability and simplicity-wise. When it comes to sewing tables, I primarily value simplicity, especially if there’s enough room for a cabinet too (if not, you can always get an upgraded sewing table with drawers and additional shelves).
This table too can be used as a flat surface, or you can drop down the movable platform and adjust it for different heights.
The table itself is made of quite durable Melamine/MDF material, making the table scratch-resistant, and the legs are made of steel. It’s easy to assemble and fold according to your needs.
This sewing table is perfect for smaller-sized sewing machines and you can also easily travel with it.
- Dimensions Open: 40" wide x 19-3/4" deep x 28-1/4" tall. Dimensions with Legs Folded: 40" wide x 19-3/4" deep X 4-1/2" tall
- The Gidget I Table will accommodate sewing machines no larger than: 17-1/2" wide, 7 3/8" deep (front to back).
- If your machine is equal to or less than those measurements, it will fit the opening.
- The platform is adjustable for different heights of machines. Construction: Melamine/MDF with Steel Legs
- Manual Platform Weight Limit: 25 nos. Gidget I arrives Fully Assembled in 1 box weighing 35 nos
This sewing table by Sew Ready is also quite simple but slightly upgraded. It’s a great solution for those who have a bit more to spend, and want to make the most out of their sewing table.
It’s not exactly the king of storage space, but for around $100 more than their entry-level model, you get removable wire drawers and a shelf for storing materials below them.
Like its previous counterparts, it has an adjustable plate too, that you can set to your ideal height and use as a machine holder.
What’s also new is that below the table you have a large shelf-like space that you can use for different purposes, like storing spare thread or tools that you don’t need at hand at any given moment.
- Overall Dimensions: 56. 75" W x 23. 75" D x 30" H, Top: 47. 25" W x 23. 75" D with 2" Cord Management Hole with Cover, Folding Side Shelf: 9. 5" W x 23. 75" D
- Sewing Platform: 23" W x 10. 75" D, Long Bottom Shelf: 27. 5" W | Right Lower Shelf: 14" W x 19. 25" D, Wire Mesh Drawers: 10" W x 15. 75" D x 3. 5" H
- Powder Coated Steel Frame for Durability, Six Floor Levelers for Stability.
- Weight Limits: Top: 50 lbs. | Sewing Platform, Bottom and Right Shelf: 20 lbs. ea. | Folding Shelf and Drawers: 10 lbs. ea.
- Can be used as a Sewing Table, Computer Desk, Multi-Use Craft Table, or Hobby Table, Craft Desk, Work Desk
Sullivans is considered a solid furniture producer, so while the price of this sewing table is a bit higher, the value for money is even better.
This portable sewing table also comes with some perks – drawers. It’s made of light walnut wood, but it’s covered with a white finish. It’s super-easy to fold and assemble, so if you lack room in your living space, and would like to host a party, you can free up space in less than 5 minutes.
There are four drawers of solid size for storing your needles, pins, threads, measuring tapes, and all of the other sewing equipment that you’ve collected.
- This is a great table for working on a variety of craft projects and storing supplies
- Color name value is white
- Assembly of this table is required accessories are not included
- Package weight 75.0 pounds
South Shore Crea craft table is a multipurpose table you can use for all kinds of home crafts, but I highly recommend it for sewing, especially if you don’t have enough space to get a sewing cabinet too.
This sewing cabinet comes with a bunch of perks such as storage drawers, storage shelves, wheels, one sliding shelf, and a completely scratch and water-resistant surface.
Of course, thanks to its bulkier lower structure, this sewing table and cabinet can hold more weight, so you can put a lot of equipment on top and store lots of items in the various drawers.
The four wheels make the table easy to move, which makes it up for not being so easy to assemble and fold. With the wheels, you can move it around your place as much as you like, or shove it in another room if you’re having people over and want to free up some space.
Storage space is pretty large – three big drawers and a sliding shelf with removable dowels means you can get messy as much as you want, you’ll always have somewhere to hide everything.
The materials used are highly eco-friendly since its made of non-toxic laminated particleboard which exceeds all American safety standards.
- PERFECT WORKING SURFACE: Featuring scratch proof and water resistant properties, this craft table allows you to work on all projects on its sturdy surface.
- EASY TO MANEUVER: Resting on 4 wheels, this table is easy to move where you need to station it, making for a versatile craft room.
- VAST STORAGE OPTIONS: Offering a spacious top surface area, 1 sliding shelf with removable dowels, 3 drawers and 1 large sliding shelf, this table is perfect for crafting or sewing.
- ECO-FRIENDLY: Made in North America with non-toxic laminated particleboard, this piece of furniture meets or exceeds all North American safety standards.
- 5-YEAR LIMITED WARRANTY: Shop with confidence knowing that we proudly stand behind our products with a full 5-year limited warranty. Please note that assembly is required.
Arrow has been producing sewing furniture since 1943 so they’re an excellent choice if you’re ready to open up your wallet for this rather specialized piece of sewing furniture.
This is a combination of a sewing table and a sewing cabinet, and it has a number of advantages for the price that it comes at.
It has a large cutting table area made of three plates that can easily fold onto each other. Below, there is huge storage with lots of room. On the front side, there are four big drawers for storing your thread, needles, and pins, but on the backside, there are also four shelves where you can put sewing equipment that you don’t use so often.
Left and right from the drawers there are two doors that don’t actually contain anything – their purpose is to hold the cutting plates in case you need all three of them for extended space. If you close and fold them, the table-cabinet doesn’t take up too much space, and thanks to its four wheels, you can move it around your house as much as you like.
On the other hand, if you decide to leave these open, you can use the room behind these plate supporters for storing material rolls.
It comes in either white or teak laminate finishes, and in my opinion, it’s one of the best options for a smaller living space, because it’s foldable, easy to assemble, and movable. If you’re looking to make a serious investment, this sewing table is definitely worth the money.
- Offers a large cutting surface of 70 inches by 40 inches with a 2 leaf extension. A Kangaroo cutting mat (sold separately, MAT-K) fits perfectly on the cabinet’s craft tabletop. Ash White finish.
- Pairs perfectly with your primary workstation providing plenty of compact storage and organization. 4 self-closing drawers with beautiful hardware and 4 customized rear shelves for dynamic secondary storage.
- 4 locking and rolling industrial casters and an additional 4 heavy-duty casters to support the leaves when open for stability and easy mobility. Makes for a great gift wrapping table!
- When the table is fully open the dimensions are 70 inches wide - 40 inches deep - 36.25 inches high. Folding leaves create a small footprint at 20 inches wide when closed.
- The Kangaroo Kookaburra is a beautiful cutting table to help elevate your sewing and crafting experience! Includes a limited lifetime warranty.
I am totally obsessed with these simple cabinets that can become huge working surfaces also with some spacious storage room.
This particular model can go from a small cabinet that fits snugly in the corner to a 40” wide arts and crafts working space in just a few moves.
In addition to the folding dropping leaves for extending your working space, this amazing piece of sewing furniture also includes storage behind a roll-open door, with two storage bins along with a hidden shelf where you can keep your sewing machine.
And that’s not all. There are also two adjustable shelves behind the door and of course – wheels. This sewing table/cabinet may not be so simple to de-assemble and assemble every time you want it out of the picture, but you can roll it out of the room in two minutes.
It comes in four colors: dark brown, white, gray, and light brown. The dark brown one is the cheapest, while the rest of them are significantly pricier (and better looking). However, if it’s in your interest to stay on budget, make sure to double-check before you hit the buy button which color you’ve picked.
The table/cabinet is made of engineered wood with a melamine top surface that’s resistant to heat, stain, and scratch.
- Drop leaf craft and sewing table provides extra work space
- Storage behind roll-open door includes two storage bins and hidden shelf for sewing machine
- Two adjustable shelves behind door
- Melamine top surface is heat, stain, and scratch-resistant
- Easy-roll casters
Wrapping It Up
Moving from the beginner to the expert level in your sewing efforts also means buying new furniture. I hope this article brought you lots of inspiration for your sewing space, and that you’ve already spotted your favorite.
Remember, keep your budget in mind – if you’re not ready to open up for a new piece of furniture, you can go with a simple sewing table, and you can solve the storage problem in another way.
Also, measure your space – how much free space do you have?
Even if you don’t have too much, but still want a bigger cabinet with a large enough working surface, you can choose the ones that fold easily into tiny cabinets, but then turn into 40-inch working areas in just a few minutes.
Last update on 2022-01-22 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API